Matthew T. Rupert
I am presently employed (happily), but I always try to keep my resume (somewhat) current.
(919) 435-1763 (home)
(919) 491-9944 (cell)
Q & A (things not captured on my resume)
Accomplished Software Engineer, Architect and leader skilled in gathering and documenting requirements, leading Agile teams, designing system architecture, developing project plans, managing and tracking project execution, developing software and software test protocols, complying with FDA regulatory requirements, releasing products to production and maintaining product releases.
Proven ability to draw upon experience gained from a diverse background to utilize formal software development methodologies and best practices, while maintaining a personal interest in current technologies. Experience serving as a client’s point of contact regarding needs definition, project status and issue resolution.
Publications, writing, certificates:
- Software Developer’s Journal: Vol. 2 No. 13 13/2013 (19) ISSN 1734-3933: WordPress from Scatch
- Software Developer’s Journal: November 2013: Interview Tips for Software Developers
- Software Developer’s Journal: November 2013: An Introduction to Developer@Live (Hello World)
- Software Developer’s Journal: June 2013: Do Not Flounder!
- MD+DI, June 2011: Best Practices for Design and Development of Software Medical Devices [pdf] [EE Times]
- MD+DI, June 2011: Use Case Development — An Example
- MD+DI: April 2013: My First Job Was Boring: Confessions of a Medical Software Engineer
- MEDS Magazine: Continuous Integration of Medical Device Projects
- Brainbench: Java EJB 3.0 Fundamentals
- Brainbench: Software Quality Assurance
- Testing: JUnit, TestNG, HtmlUnit, Rational Robot
- Platforms: Unix, Linux and Windows Server development
- Docker, Jenkins, Subversion, Git, Maven, Ant, Eclipse, Netbeans, CVS, Trac (wiki, team collaboration), Redmine, SourceSafe, ClearCase, Apex, Jira
- Database & Related Tools: Oracle 9i, 10g, PostgreSQL, MySQL, JPA/Hibernate, Toad
- Web: Fuse ESB, Apache, Tomcat, JBoss, Rails, Sinatra, HTML, XML, XSLT, Ajax, CSS, Spring MVC
- Docker, Jenkins
- Software Quality Assurance in an FDA regulated environment
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design
- Relational Database Design and SQL
- Eclipse, Netbeans, Microsoft Visual Studio and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET
- Software Design, Software Development Lifecycle in classic SDLC and Agile environments
- DICOM (Medical Imaging, PACS)
- Writing, Editing, Technical Documentation
- Software Quality Assurance, Rational ClearQuest, Rational ClearCase
- Leadership of software projects, from requirements gathering (customer facing) to product release and support
- Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Photography and Photo Editing
- LMS (Learning Management Systems), Docent 6.5/SumTotal 6.5
Columnist Software Developer’s Journal, June 2013 – Present (For fun, but not my day job.)
Software Developer’s Journal is an on-line magazine about software development, for those involved in programming, management, testing, development. I write a monthly column for the magazine which I have titled Developer@Life. I write on the life-side of being a software developer. I’ve written several articles so far and I have many more in the queue.
Software Architect & Engineer Company Confidential, Raleigh, NC, February 2011 – Present (My real job–Also fun.)
Software Architect III Grifols, Raleigh, NC, October 2010 – February 2011
- Technical lead for planning and architecture of a Java/Spring production systems used by Research and Technology Lab. Documented strategic plans, guideline and standards for developing software systems.
- Create standard operating procedures for software medical device development.
- Introduce continuous integration and Agile methodologies.
- Introduce tools and best practices for new software development, providing standards and guidelines and mentoring software development teams.
Lead Software Engineer XStor Medical Systems, Warrenville, IL, May 2008 – October 2010 (Consultant from October 2010 – July 2011)
XStor Medical Systems, Inc. provides comprehensive, clinical software solutions to enable multisite, interdisciplinary collaboration among departments, hospitals and clinics for improved patient care. XStor solutions are HIPAA compliant and adhere to existing and emerging industry standard protocols.
- Architect and define the technologies used, application structure, system design, user interfaces and application interfaces
- Develop Oncology PACS server, including database design, user interfaces, application interfaces (DICOM, proprietary XML interface)
- Define and develop test plans and protocols, including system and integration tests, unit tests and automated verification tests (TestNG, HtmlUnit)
- Tools: NetBeans IDE, Ant, Subversion, Hudson (continuous integration builds), Trac (Wiki for team collaboration)
- Key participant in creation of Quality System to meet ISO 13485 and FDA 510k requirements
- Responsible for creation of internal policies, templates and standard operating procedures
- Worked closely with external partners, including a team in India, to design and develop external interfaces and successfully integrate applications.
Senior Software Engineer, LMS Administrator, eLearning Professional – Tellabs, Naperville, IL September 2005 – May 2008
Tellabs advances telecommunications networks to meet the evolving needs of end-users. Broadband solutions from Tellabs enable service providers to deliver high quality voice, video and data services over wireline and wireless networks around the world. Tellabs (NASDAQ: TLAB) is part of the NASDAQ-100 Index and the S&P 500. Tellabs maintains a strong financial position and balance sheet, with about $1 billion in cash, cash equivalents and marketable securities. Tellabs is the market leader in the U.S. bandwidth management and fiber access markets. Tellabs is the leading provider of cable telephony solutions in Europe, and one of the top three globally. While at Tellabs I worked primarily in the Product Training Services department.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the entire phase of the Docent (SumTotal) Learning Management System implementation: support of design, build and test efforts, management of the project plan (activities and deliverables), support of conversion and deployment activities, direction of change management activities, as well as assisting in managing the internal customer expectations.
- Establish project management and systems development (SDLC) life cycle methodologies for LMS development based courses
- Work with the development team for designing, developing and implementing AICC and SCORM compliant web based training
- Work closely with global teams (Learning and Development, Sales, etc.) to capture requirements and build them into the Learning Management System
- Scope out and manage learning management system changes/enhancements and new projects, including new development and analysis of new products
- Ensure functional and technical integrity in design, development, and implementation
- Implemented source control and modification request systems for learning management systems.
- Created automated feed processes from external sources to Docent database including Skillport (learning content), SAP and Active Directory
- Created business process and development plan for financial integration of learning management system to SAP. Developed Java client application to communicate via web services with SAP.
- Created numerous web reports for various business units within Tellabs
- Development tools: Toad, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, Eclipse (Java), Rational Clearcase, Rational Clearquest, Docent/SumTotal 6.5, Oracle 9i/10g, Crystal Reports
- System administration of Apache web server, iPlanet web server, Solaris machines, Docent and Oracle 10g database
Senior Software Engineer, Software Quality Assurance Analyst – Veteran’s Administration (Contractor, CACI), Hines, IL February 2003 – September 2005
While at the Veteran’s Administration I worked as a Software Quality Assurance Analyst and an Automated Test Developer on an FDA regulated Blood Bank software application that was developed in C#/.NET. This application was classified as a Class II Medical Device.
- Development tools: Rational Robot, Rational ClearQuest, Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Visual SourceSafe
- Training: Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP), Rational Robot, Rational ClearQuest
- Created System and Integration test scripts and test plans
- Responsible for identifying and testing critical areas of Blood Bank software
Senior Software Engineer – Medstrat, Downers Grove, IL April 2002 – February 2003
- Developed a DICOM server using sockets in Java to perform query, move, and store DICOM images
- Developed a DICOM utilities using C# and Perl
- Created a defect tracking tool using MySQL and Perl for use by the customer service and engineering teams.
- Developed a Java Applet for viewing and manipulating jpeg images, allowing user to pan, zoom, rotate, adjust window and level, and display overlay images in the SVG (Scalable Vector Graphic) format
- Administered CVS (on Redhat) for source control of all in-house software. As the engineering department’s configuration manager, I created in-house user’s guides for CVS and WinCVS and regularly attended to the needs of development management activities
Senior Software Engineer – Mercantec, Naperville, IL January 2000 – March 2002
- Development tools: GNU GCC, Make, Microsoft Visual Studio, Rational ClearCase.
- Defect tracking tools: Rational ClearQuest, Test Director
- Training: Rational ClearCase, CVS, Apache Web Server, CGI
- High level design of new product line, and designed the ordering, tax, and shipping components.
- Streamlined the daily build process by creating a “generic” makefile system (using GNU Make), which made porting our software to new operating systems simple
- Dealt with software porting issues between Unix, Linux and Windows
- Responsible for source control branching and merging using Rational ClearCase and CVS
- Responsible for database design for the new product line
- Assisted with the design of the user interface
- Responsible for new features and enhancements
- Apache Web Server and Microsoft Personal Web Server configuration
- UNIX and Linux experience on many platforms, including Solaris, Dec, Irix, SGI, HP/UX, Redhat Linux, BSD, FreeBSD
Benedictine University, Lisle, IL
- MBA 510: Economics, March 2008
- MBA 530: Organization Behavior, November 2007
- MBA 520: Leadership and Ethics in a Global Environment, October 2007
Northern Illinois University, Naperville, IL
- Business Telecommunications, May 2005
- Decision Support Systems, December 2004
DePaul University, Naperville, IL
- Object Oriented Analysis and Design, May 2001
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms, December 2000